Wednesday 27 August 2014

Lost in Bentencho Station

Hello you lovely lot and thanks once again for taking the time to check out what I've been up to!

I'm writing this from a (slightly) messier room as my wonderful boyfriend Vincent has decided to join me out here.

I'm allowed one soppy photo, right?
I promise this is the only mushiness I will disclose hereafter but going to collect him from the airport was one of the best moments of my life. Two and half months away from each other really was the limit of what we could both manage. But all the waiting was totally worth it to see his cheeky face lighting up Kansai International.
Any longer would have resulted in exploding MacBooks, I'm sure. Is FaceTime supposed to last more than five hours??

OK. Bleurgh, enough I promise!! Anyway, it's awesome having my best friend back to share my adventures with...or so I thought...

Vincent managed to be in Japan for the grand total of week before he lost his iPhone. Yep. An iPhone. Lost. In Japan. Brilliant. This being said, crime in Osaka - particularly theft, is low compared to London and everyone kept reassuring us that if it was to ever be returned, we couldn't have picked a better city to facilitate that. The real difficulty was that Vince couldn't remember where he had left it in the first place and when you pair that with a language barrier, you can imagine the fun we had trying to track it down!

However, with the help of my work colleague and overall superwoman, Makiko, we managed to locate it in a local train station in Bentencho where some kind soul handed it in. We couldn't believe it! I made myself giddy bowing and arigato-ing the guard on duty in the lost and found. It was a prime example of how helpful and good natured the Japanese people are if you're lucky enough to know them. Did you see the reports of their cleaning operation after they lost a match in the World Cup? If not, you can read about it here.

The day we lost the infamous mobile, we went to visit the Osaka Human Rights Museum in Ashiharabashi. We had read about this in our Lonely Planet guide and I'm so pleased we decided to visit.
Liberty Osaka - Museum of Human Rights
It's pretty easy to find and is only a 500 yen entry fee. I really can't recommend this place enough. I admit I was slightly daunted when we first arrived as a lot of the initial exhibits appeared to be aimed at children and many of the descriptions were not translated. However audio guides are available and all of the video media is subtitled. I learnt about several contemporary human rights issues in Japan, the majority of which I had never heard of before.

The section covering the legal battles of the Minamata victims particularly interested me. The citizens involved in the court cases are suffers of the Minamata disease, as a result of mercury poisoning from the 1930's to the 1970's in the Minamata Bay area. Supporters of those affected fought a thirty year battle for compensation all in the face of discrimination, (the disease was thought to be contagious for a long time). The exhibitions were a revelation and a fascinating glimpse into post war Japanese history and current social debates.

Selfie. Sega. Sick.
We decided to end our weekend with something a bit more highbrow and took a trip to Sega World in Tenoji. I have to admit, I agreed to this only because Vincent was adamant to see it, when I spotted a Mango and Zara downstairs, I was more than happy to play House of the Dead 4 one more time! Seriously though, I actually had loads of fun, I even managed to beat Vince at one of those virtual skiing games - lad that I am. If games are your thing or for a bit of childhood nostalgia, do have a look, it's a good afternoon out. Don't take anyone on a date there though, it's rather loud. And by rather, I mean incredibly loud.

We've got loads planned over the next month so make sure you're keeping an eye out for posts. Before I sign off, I thought I'd include my top 5 travel books that I've been devouring whilst out here. What are your top choices? Here's mine:-

  1. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. This is an essential read for anyone interested in Japan. It's beautifully bittersweet and has that "first love" mysticism about it. I keep coming back to this book and I can't get enough of it.
  2. Four Sisters by Helen Rappaport. As odd as this may sound, I like to bring a historical book with me whenever I go away. It provides a nice break from all the fiction I tend to read. This is a new purchase for me and details the very short lives of the four Romanov Princesses of old Imperial Russia. Tres interesting!
  3. Candy by Luke Davies. This is a relatively short book and is dead easy to read. It's sort of a modern anti fairytale and is as much an ode to love as it is to drugs. I like to have something a bit grittier with me when I'm away from home to keep up my street cred. Obvs. This, or Trainspotting should work.
  4. Bright Star: Love Letters and Poems of John Keates Just because it is always good to take a bit of England with you. So why not take Keates??
  5. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. I think it's always useful to take a series of books if you can and I have already exhausted the Hunger Games, Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings. This latest serving is pretty entertaining, the action is high and the characters personable. I would recommend downloading these books though, the first one in paperback nearly broke my wrist.

Well, my thanks once again for listening to my ponderings, we're off to mess around and catch up on GBBO! Till next time...
BYEEEEEE!














No comments:

Post a Comment